Friday 13 September 2013

How have you changed in the last 2 years?


Two years ago I was sitting in sixth year about to begin the toughest most stressful year of my life. I was put under so much pressure to achieve my best, to get the points, to decide what I wanted to do with my life. I was only 17 for God sake how was I meant to know what degree I wanted to choose which would determine what I would do for the REST OF MY LIFE. No biggie like. I could barely decide what breakfast cereal I wanted (and still can't btw). 

I got through the year following the mantra of Cry, Argue, Eat, Study, Sleep, Repeat and made myself into such a stressball of nerves I'm surprised I made it through without having a mental breakdown. I had migraines and I was physically and mentally exhausted through the pressures of my daddy dearest. I was so worried I wouldn't pass Maths I considered dropping to foundation on the day. Turns out I needn't have worried as I achieved a C3, which I was absolutely delighted with. This isn't a blog about what horrific system the Leaving Certificate and the CAO is but rather how I have changed in the past two years. 

I got what I thought I wanted in university. I headed off to Maynooth with bright hopes of studying English, Spanish and German. Two weeks later, I hated it. I was told to 'stick to the course til Christmas and then decide'. This was another terrible decision forced upon me by my parents. I hated every minute of my lectures, I was stressed out, emotional and didn't know what I was going to do with my life. Like because I had chosen a course that wasn't right for me of course my life was completely and utterly fucked up! in the words of my dad that is. 

My advice to current sixth years or college goers. Just breathe. Find a plc course that interests you and enroll. Its the best way to get to know if you really will enjoy studying your chosen subject for the next three to four years. I am now studying Journalism and I absolutely love it. 

I have changed in the last 2 years also due to the fact that I met my wonderful boyfriend. He is an amazing person inside and out, he is so supportive, and caring and I know even if we weren't together we would be best friends as he is practically a male version of me! He makes me laugh, and cheers me up when I am down. He is the best support system I have ever had, and has put up with a lot of tears from me. I know this sounds cliché but he has made me better as a person. He has encouraged me to worry less, to weed out the shit 'friends' and to relax and roll with the punches, and for that I have a lot to thank him for.


The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return. 


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts in the comments

Blogger Template Created by pipdig