Wednesday 6 January 2016

Where to Eat Guide to Cork City

   
                                     

I recently spent a few days in the 'real capital' some might argue of Cork city and found a few of the most delightful places to go and eat. For any of you foodies out there please read on as I found definitely a few little diamonds in the rough for you to seek out and enjoy. 

                        


First stop was Orso, a tiny little hippy friendly cafe located on Pembroke lane. You won't be able to move much as the space inside is cramped but you also won't be able to move due to the extremely generous pocket friendly portion sizes. We stumbled across this place after a long long day of shopping in the pouring rain and we're happy to sit down, relax, people watch and enjoy some tasty, healthy food. 


I was a little bit 'hangry' when we ordered and picked myself the chicken, sweet potato, brown rice dish in a spicy tomato Harissa sauce. It was so tasty, and the portion was huge. I really didn't think I would finish it, but somehow managed! 

                           

They have a fabulous selection ranging from some Lebanese, Persian influences to Turkey and cranberry ciabattas and superfood salads. They also had a gorgeous sounding dessert menu is hazelnut and chocolate peanut butter brittle cheesecake and a raspberry and Chocolate brownie, I'm a chocolate fiend - I was too stuffed however to manage a other bite after my meal pictured above. You will be fed for less than €9 a very substantial meal. 


That night we headed to Gallaghers bistro which was near the Isaacs hotel where we stayed. A very cosy, welcoming place with brilliant wait staff this was an enjoyable night as the food was delicious and they had live music a kind of jazz funk soul band who were brilliant. 

I shared a tapas meat platter, which was actually a tiny bit disapointing for a starter as I love my tapas... These were all deep fried morsels. My main was the saving grace however I had a lemon and garlic pearl couscous with chicken it was so so unbelievably tasty. I also had a lemon cheesecake for dessert which was gorgeous. Suprisingly enough I didn't go for the chocolate lovers dream which would have been a triple chocolate brownie sundae but I think I had more than enough of the cocoa stuff over the holidays. 

We stayed in Isaacs hotel which was a really nice central hotel. We also got upgraded to a suite which was gorgeous! The room was huge and done in all greys, whites and neutrals. It was so comfortable with a huge modern bathroom as well. 

We didn't opt for a B & B option for our stay instead we decided to go out and find ourselves somewhere nice for a nibble and I stumbled across Tara's Tea Room on Mac curtain street just down down from our hotel. 


I immediately fell in love with this place. It is exactly the type of cafe I would love to open if I ever got the chance. It's just so cute and quirky, friendly staff, good choices on the menu and great service. 
The place is like a little treasure trove with all their ornaments so I highly recommend a visit even just for their super cute tea cups and saucers and tea pots! Eek! I just love it. 


I ordered Eggs Benedict. I can't say I wasn't disapointed that it wasn't served in the traditional way, it was served on toasted batch bread with thick slices of bacon and two poached eggs in slightly cold hollandaise sauce but it was still tasty and I still enjoyed every bit of it! The surroundings more than made up for the slight issue. I will definitely come back if I am in the area again. They do afternoon tea at fifteen euro a person and also have a large lunch menu. Well worth a visit! 

                                    

If you are in Cork for a few days I recommend popping down Opera Lane where they have River Island, H & M, New Look, Office and other shops all on the one street. I also would say to check out the English Market, it's just a lovely place to go for a look. Cork is great for shopping I have to say and makes a change from Dublin! 

Have you been to any of these places or where do you think you would like to try out? Leave a comment below xx






SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts in the comments

Blogger Template Created by pipdig