Thursday 3 July 2014

Portugal in a Nutshell

I've been neglecting the blog a bit of late but that's because I was away on my holliers! Forgive me?

 Here's a pic of a cat to speed things along ;)
 
I went to Alvor, Montes de Alvor to be exact. It is in the Algarve in Portugal. Spain is usually my destination of choice, and while the countries are so close together I think I may actually prefer Portugal because it hasn't yet gotten so over touristy. The people are friendlier than I thought they would be and my only quibble was the food. I got food poisoning! Well, at least I think I did. It was either that or all the cocktails that created a bit of a vomcano....
 
We stayed in my aunty's gorgeous apartment (bonus: free accommodation) there was a swimming pool next door, palm trees swaying in the breeze and best of all it wasn't too hot.



The weather was about 28 degrees and sunny for the majority of the time we were there. Luckily only our last two days were cloudy and since I was hugging the toilet bowl I didn't mind too much.
 
I got a great tan anyways, with thanks to some sunburn which wasn't all that fab since now I'm peeling but sure we get so little Vitamin D year round in Ireland I had to go hell for leather on the tanning!
 
Drinks of choice: Cocktails & more cocktails! Caprinha's are a type of Portugese/Brazilian cocktail which are so refreshing made with lots of mint and lime. I am also extremely partial to the Atrium 53. It's a bar/restaurant on the strip and their bespoke cocktail is to DIE for!
Things to Do: Definitely visit Portimao for some shopping. The Aqua Portimao is a huge shopping centre with tones of fab shops! They even have a Primark! Their Bershka, Pull & Bear and H&M were all so good and all of them were having sales! Scoreeeee. I bought loads, I will do a haul as soon as I collect all my pics.
 
Cons: The food....I just couldn't eat anything after my bout of food poisoning and to be honest a lot of the food we ordered was so bland and plain. On the plus - came back five pounds lighter! It was that and the 1.5 km hike into the town centre that did it haha
 
I survived on tinned sardines, ham, cheese and bread. Not a bad choice.
Also you can't drink the tap water so make sure you buy a 5L drum of water so you stay hydrated :)
 
Anyways that was a little snapshot of my travels and what I have been up to!
 
The day I flew home I went straight over to a hotel to makeover my friend and bride Niamh, she looked stunning on the day if I do say so myself! Check out my makeup page here at www.facebook.com/katiewheelermakeupartist  if you ever need a makeover for an event and are in the Meath/Kildare area I am your gal :)
 
 
Keep on blogging it beautiful
 
xoxo
 
 
 
 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts in the comments

Blogger Template Created by pipdig